PEER SPECIALIST DEFINED
Who is a Peer Support Specialist?
A Peer Support Specialist is a person living in recovery with a substance use disorder and providing support to others seeking recovery from a substance use disorder.
Who is a Certified Recovery Support Specialist (CRSS)?
A person in recovery from substance use disorder working within an agency or organization, who has been trained to use their personal recovery story to assist others in developing their personal plan for recovery. This person must meet the Alabama Department of Mental Health’s requirements to provide peer supportive services.
Peer Support Services promote:
· Many pathways to recovery
· Self-directed care
· A strength-based approach
· Relationship enhancement
· Emphasis on peer support philosophy
· Recovery philosophy
· Holistic Approach
PEER SERVICES INCLUDE
· Facilitating recovery education groups
· Peer led support groups
· Peer mentoring
· Using life experiences to assist consumers in understanding their diagnosis
· Crisis support
· Relapse prevention planning
· Reconnecting to family and community
· Basic living skills
· Building self-esteem and confidence
· Recreation and social opportunities
· Self-help and self-advocacy skills
· Crisis resolution, problem solving, and goal setting skills
· Assistance in acquiring resources
VALUE OF PEER SERVICES
According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), recovery support services assist people as they enter into and navigate systems of care. These services assist in removing barriers to recovery, help individuals stay engaged in the recovery process, and live full lives in communities of their choice. SAMHSA has now found it efficient and cost-effective to include evidenced-based peer programs, peer services, and peer support specialists as a primary tool in the delivery of services in order to reduce escalating cost and lacking resources. One of the greatest barriers to recovery from a substance use disorder is immediate access to care.
CARESS will provide support services to all individuals in the Montgomery area before and after treatment. No one in need of recovery support services will be denied immediate attention.